Vinylize it

haha I have a feeling not only is it going to be awful sound quality which is plainly obvious from the get go but the tracks will probably be crazy inconsistent volume and eq wise.

Could have been kind of cool if they worked closely with the actual artists and got the original sources then had someone that knows how to mix an album put the tracks all together. That way some of these new/lesser known artists could at least get a decent little kick back from it.

Actually if you look at the updated Modern Vinyl article about it, it will not be the Soundcloud digital files going onto vinyl. Bassically it's just a suggestion platform where we all complain about why a particular album isn't on vinyl yet. Once it get's enough likes, then it will notify the artist to create a project on QRATES. 

From there, the artist will be able to select whatever media they want on the record. So yes, some could be lazy and just give them what came out of Ableton or Logic, but they can choose to go to a studio, get it mastered, and send those. Records are pressed by GZ media.

So with all that said. No clue how to feel about it. Good idea, but I feel like without proper guidance artists will upload some shit digital copy anyways. 

9 minutes ago, rooks said:

OH SHIT.

Don't you get it??? It's both CRATES (like what vinyl was kept in!!!) and Q-rates! Like hand CURATED vinyl.

Don't you dare not appreciate this wordplay.

Oh shiiiiiit

This serves as evidence for my theory that 95% of all startups start by brainstorming a dumb name and working from there: next, design a logo, then register domains and Twitter handles, do a round of funding, design the HTML5-tastic splash page, then launch, then look into figuring out a business model.