My store won't do that. We can put requests in but everything is first come first served.

I'm fortunate in the sense that I'm not interested in a lot of the mainstream releases. Last year I was able to turn up after lunch and everything I wanted was still on the shelf.  However, if they're getting coheed then I might need to get down there early.

It also keeps the excitement if you have to go and search through the store for the stuff you want.

2 hours ago, scottheisel said:

You clearly don't spend enough money at your local record store, then. My guy won't specifically order RSD stuff just for me but if I've expressed serious interest in a RSD title and he only gets 1 or 2 of them, he will usually stash it behind the counter for me. I'm sure I'm not the only customer he does this for, because that's how you take care of your regulars — the people that keep the doors open the other 364 days a year.

This, although my (favorite) local shop makes 6 months rent on RSD so it doesn't really matter if you never go there for anything else. I'm there too much though. They know me by name, call me to tell me about PO delays, and let me pick up stuff a day or two early. Even if I didn't want any RSD releases, I would still show up for a free Upland brew and live music. 

42 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Oof, came up on a sealed tape copy of this via Discogs not to long ago. Wouldn't mind having a vinyl copy as well. 

Yeah, if this is for real it's the the only real "need" for me this RSD.

edit: also, does anyone else find it kind of hilarious that RSD and Earth Day coincide this year?

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

6 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Yeah, if this is for real it's the the only real "need" for me this RSD.

edit: also, does anyone else find it kind of hilarious that RSD and Earth Day coincide this year?

That's pretty funny. My first RSD was on 420 so that was a helluva day. 

8 hours ago, scottheisel said:

You clearly don't spend enough money at your local record store, then. My guy won't specifically order RSD stuff just for me but if I've expressed serious interest in a RSD title and he only gets 1 or 2 of them, he will usually stash it behind the counter for me. I'm sure I'm not the only customer he does this for, because that's how you take care of your regulars — the people that keep the doors open the other 364 days a year.

You're not wrong, but that's primarily because I have no local record store in my area of northern California.  I've never participated in a physical, wait-in-line, fend-off-other-customers RSD before, and would probably have to drive to the bay area to do so.  I do get what you're saying and it's cool that it's the case; like I mentioned a few posts above, I'd practice the same ethics if I was running a record store of my own.  But as someone whose only knowledge of RSD comes from stories of friends, posts online, and general commentary, I'm sure 90%+ of record shops won't hold RSD orders for specific customers.  More power to yours if they do, though.

19 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

You're not wrong, but that's primarily because I have no local record store in my area of northern California.  I've never participated in a physical, wait-in-line, fend-off-other-customers RSD before, and would probably have to drive to the bay area to do so.  I do get what you're saying and it's cool that it's the case; like I mentioned a few posts above, I'd practice the same ethics if I was running a record store of my own.  But as someone whose only knowledge of RSD comes from stories of friends, posts online, and general commentary, I'm sure 90%+ of record shops won't hold RSD orders for specific customers.  More power to yours if they do, though.

While I don't condemn this practice at all. I actually think that regular record collectors should get relatively better treatment, I'd be careful of talking about this here. VC gets alot of attention around RSD. So I wouldn't want these kind people to get in trouble. And while names are not mentioned, just bring it to the light is enough to get RSD people on alert. Just my 2 cents on the matter.

11 hours ago, DafTyler said:

A store I frequent was new to RSD and held the RSD Deja for me. 

Man some people were irate.

Where is this list? Wasnt on page one and dont wanna go through 17 pages looking.  

http://thevinylfactory.com/news/record-store-day-2017-exclusives-list-rumour/

Edited by Han Solo

3 hours ago, Han Solo said:

Based off this I don't feel like my wallet is going to take a huge hit. I definitely want the Cinematic Orchestra release if confirmed I've been wanting that album for a long time.  Guess I'll be standing in line outside Amoeba again this year...

I usually luck out and want only one or two things, but there's some decent stuff I'm going to grab this year.

Balance & Composure, Blondie, Germs (usually not into variants, but I need all 4 :lol:), The Sundays, The Wombats (maybe?) and possibly that Early L.A. comp.  Waiting for details.

Edited by curator

7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Whoa!! Hope this is a sign that static & silence is coming

Sundays, The – Blind [LP] (25th Anniversary Edition, Colored Vinyl, limited to 1500, indie-retail exclusive) LP

Hope they use the U.S. tracklist too.  The extra song on each album is great.