2023 - Did Your Vinyl Purchasing/Collecting Habits Change? Any Record(s) You Were Most Excited To Have Snagged?

No...this is not a college/university survey post that I just love to approve...cuz ya know, I like starting shit. 

2023 seems to have been a helluva year all across the board for a lot of people. Life and the world were completely out of wack. 

Do you feel that your collecting and purchasing of vinylz changed in any way? How so? Share your stories. 

And what was the one (or few) records that got you the most excited and happy to have snagged/scored/etc.?

I have definitely found my obsession with records has faded. I've been doing this a looong time. The insane prices and all of the noobs calling records vinylz and buying them just to hang on the wall, has soured me on the whole experience. I should probably stay off Reddit. There's been many times we've been travelling and my wife asks me if I want to go to the local record store and I just say "nah". I also like having extra money. The evil Spotify has changed things for me. I just stream shit and ask myself if I really need to spend $35+ to listen to it on vinyl. Many times the answer is "not really".

Off the top of my head I can't really come up with a record I was truly excited about when I got it. Man, I'm being a downer! Maybe I'll come up with something later. Oh wait, the signed National "test pressing" was super cool. 😜

My overall vinyl purchasing slowed, for sure. Prices were getting a little too much and I tried to stop pre-ordering albums blind. I only did it twice this year (Menzingers and Blink). Also being part of the Storm Chasers LTD Patreon guaranteed I had at least one new record a month so that helped curb the extra spending.

And I'm so glad That Thing You Do! finally got released.

Yeah. My habits have changed a lot. My station in life has changed a lot too. I don't have room and I have kids now so priorities have shifted.  That said the other factors are labels charging wayyyyy too much. Retail has gotten out of hand and it's on the back of the customer. Pressing costs have gone up for sure but retail cost has not risen fairly to balance that.  Especially pressings of 1000s of records they could easily sell them in the 22-28 dollar range and make money. Selling single LPs for 40+ is just unreasonable and I don't buy those.  I don't buy variants anymore - just one color is fine.  I mostly concentrate on putting out Bitter Melody releases and trading for some personal records occasionally.  My bigger splurges were for friend's records in NC - Undying and Prayer for Cleansing.

Like the post above I have stopped buying blindly a lot too.  Unless it's one of the handful of bands I will support forever. I bought the Alkaline Trio record before I heard a song. I'd buy anything John K Samson without hearing it too but he's in a place where he doesn't want to release much physically. I've been trying to get him to let me release Hold Music or Vivat Virtute EP or the random singles he's not released physically forever.

I continued finding new genres/sounds I enjoy so music is as interesting as ever and I'm excited over new records in the mail just about every other day. I've never been a variant hoarder or obsessed with gimmick releases for TV/Movies I like so I'll never have that day where I look at my records with regret. I feel like a lot of you can't let go of your youth through your music taste and it's really not doing you any good. You dress like an adult now so why would a new Blink or Green Day release be mentally exciting? It's impossible and forced unless your brain just stopped developing. Accept it and explore something else, music is endless.

I recently did a report of my 2023 purchases and found like 95% of them were reissues/re-releases of records that were considered discography holes or vinyl versions of CDs that I already owned.

Most new music at this point is being bought on bandcamp. If I really like the album (Drain - Living Proof) and it isn't an EP, I'll drop the money on the vinyl. Otherwise it's digital only now. Echoing others, it down to modern pricing and if the record will see a lot of spins on the table for the year and future.

24 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I continued finding new genres/sounds I enjoy so music is as interesting as ever and I'm excited over new records in the mail just about every other day.

This is the boat I'm as well.  I find a label/band/sub-genre that's new to me pretty regularly and sends me down a wormhole.  Old genres that I'd lost interest in pull me back occasionally too.

I've shifted my buying  habits a bit though.  I'm waiting on sales more, buying locally to save on shipping, waiting until there's 2-3 things to order from a label, etc.  I'm also skipping $30+ single LPs (for the most part).

Another way that I am dealing with FOMO is to tell myself that if I really want that record a year from now, it won't be a big deal to pay say $100+ for it, because I have already saved so much money not buying at standard retail. It all adds up so quickly. I'd rather have one amazing record than 4 that are good or okay. I think this will also make my collection more carefully curated, rather than blind buys of things that I listen to a few times and shelve. I'm actually proud of the self control I have shown, recently.

I bought as much as I did in 2022, which was the most in the past 5 years I think.

I have become a deal hound... I'm rarely ordering directly from a label because everyone is having a sale at some point. Also because every pre-order price fucking sucks and there's too many variants to care about the pressing number. I bought in bulk from a bunch of sales this year to get price per record to under $10.

Being a cheap fuck has taken me to weirder places to get records, too. I made a few Facebook marketplace runs to buy stacks of hip-hop records from sellers. Also found some other marketplace apps and got some killer deals on bundles of records. 

I also got built-in record shelves for my house last year; that was really cool. 

I think I want to sell more this year and put that money to a new turntable... I've crossed 10 years with my current setup. 

Same story here, I definitely ask myself “ will I actually spin this” a lot more now, prices have gone through the roof, I only blind buy stuff from bands I ride or die with, and anything else can be picked up at some point in the year from a sale. I’ve definitely learned to not FOMO into a release because a couple of months down the road it will probably be on sale. I’m down on my limited variant purchases, I don’t care if it’s plain black or whatever anymore. I used to care more about first presses but will purchase whatever the current pressing is. Just overall trying not to burn money anymore. Favorite record score this year? Probably my Koyo record release show variant with the Polaroid 

"Post-covid" I really slowed down, but I did get a couple of things I'm stoked on.

This post is part of it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyJl4QLObPA/?igsh=MW5teW13MHAwZG1qNQ==

Apparently I don't know how to imbed anymore. It's the orange cover DK Fresh Fruit.

Edited by Fowty Dollaz

I've basically stopped buying records at this point. I have acquired most of the older albums I wanted and don't really listen to much new music anymore. At the stage of realizing there are a lot of records I can let go of/need to sell. Got a new car that needs CarPlay so I got Spotify and use it a lot more at home now. Prices weren't great a few years back and they are nuts these days. 40 bucks for Descendents Somery? When even punk records get to 30-40 bucks you know things have gotten bad.  Really happy to have gotten Electra 2000 and the Blueprint Sessions this year. I still have some things I routinely check discogs alerts for and a couple things I am going to monitor and hope they get released eventually (I want a Coheed Neverender live boxset) but for the most part I have checked out.

1 hour ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

"Post-covid" I really slowed down, but I did get a couple of things I'm stoked on.

This post is part of it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyJl4QLObPA/?igsh=MW5teW13MHAwZG1qNQ==

Apparently I don't know how to imbed anymore. It's the orange cover DK Fresh Fruit.

Nice! Bought that when it came out. It's part of the reason why my parents took my records away when I was a kid. I was walking around the house singing "I Hate Children" by the Adolescents(singer Tony and I had a laugh about that on Myspace since we both became teachers) and "Kill the Poor". I tried to explain to my parents the real meaning behind that song and the others by DK and they wouldn't have it. LUCKILY, my dad kept the records and I found them in pristine condition about 15 years later.

Makes sense that I make a post to my own damn question. Ha!

I'm pretty much in the same boat as most with slowing down in purchasing and collecting. With the abrupt life change that I am still dealing with, I considerably curbed buying records, new releases and even reissues to a point where I'm even more selective than before. My incoming list off preorders used to be in the 40+ range. As of right now it's only 4. The cost/prices of things have also been a huge factor for me in deciding on getting something. 

I am slowly getting back to catching as many shows & concerts as possible if and when I'm able to swing it. That is the one thing that I am not going to curb much cuz you never know if and when there'll be a next time to catch a favorite band or artist. 

As for releases that I was pretty excited to snag. Only two:

The  Guilt - Bardstown Ugly Box reissue mainly as I was involved with making it happen with MOMR and of course the band since I've known & friends them for what feels like a million years. 

And the Triumph of Death - Resurrection of the Flesh set cuz ya know, Tom G. Warrior. And it's signed. 😁

These preorder prices are off the chain. Not worried about FOMO anymore. Preorders reaching $50 and above is a price gouge. I understand the labels gotta do what they gotta do. But this inflation is choking the life out of the collector(me). I guess what I'm saying is that I spent a little too much last year. Maybe not as much a 2022 or 21. That's when I spent an ungodly💪 amount that i can't say. 

There's been in uptick of classic Thrash that I can't stop buying. I've also been adding to my jazz collection as well thanks to the blue notes. But I guess other than that my spending is a little healthier now than before. 

I might be lying to myself. 

Just got back from a 10 jazz record haul this afternoon...

Edited by faaip de oiad
self-abasement

I really made an effort this year to buy way less new releases and instead try to build up my collection with releases from bands I love that I did not have yet. I realized I used to buy almost every new release that was interesting to me and then half the time by the time I got it I wasnt that interested anymore or I just never went back to it. So I'd much rather focus on bands and releases I know I love so my collection won't be full of shit I don't even remember buying. 

As far as records i was most excited about, I'd say the new Blink record was my highlight. That lenticular cover was especially nice. I haven't gotten it yet but I am pretty stoked to get that Glassjaw boxset as well. 

1 hour ago, lexicondevil said:

Nice! Bought that when it came out. It's part of the reason why my parents took my records away when I was a kid. I was walking around the house singing "I Hate Children" by the Adolescents(singer Tony and I had a laugh about that on Myspace since we both became teachers) and "Kill the Poor". I tried to explain to my parents the real meaning behind that song and the others by DK and they wouldn't have it. LUCKILY, my dad kept the records and I found them in pristine condition about 15 years later.

Lucky break for sure! I wasn't alive when that record came out (36), but I was ecstatic to catch that variant at a record show also grabbed a bunch of descendents/ ALL, Cramps, and INXS. I spent too much money, but it was less than buying reissues of everything (except the DK LP).

6 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

…and all of the noobs calling records vinylz and buying them just to hang on the wall, has soured me on the whole experience…

Ppsssshhhh, speak for yourself. I’ve been doin’ that shit since 2008.

I moved to a new house over the holidays and had to relocate over 500 records and 800 CDs. Made me want to quit buying physical media altogether. 

My habits have started to change, but mostly just in the past couple of months. I’ve been maxed out on shelf space for quite a while now, but hadn’t really slowed my buying habits until recently. I’d usually just let things build up on the floor until I would eventually do a big purge sale to clear up some space. Now, I’m trying to be more responsible when buying new records and ask myself, “do I want this enough that I will sell another record that I like and already own to make room for it?” I’m trying to go for the “ one in, one out” approach.  

I’ve also tried to be less of completist, unless it’s really a top tier band/artist for me. Do I really need 10+ albums of a band I’m a pretty casual fan of and have just kept buying their new albums over the years, even though I only REALLY like one or two of their records from 15 years ago. I still really like to collect, and appreciate all of that, but it just starts to feel like clutter at a point, and that doesn’t feel great to live in. 

One other way that I’ve been trying to change is I don’t really try to load up during big sales anymore. Despite things getting so over the top in pricing lately (which has also been a big reason to cut back), I’d always get sucked in when there’d be a post here about a big clearance sale, and I’d stock up on 10 records for $100 or whatever. I’m always looking to find new music, so I’d buy things that I had read about being good, or had heard a bit of and was kind of interested in. But, I’ve sold so many records over the years that I owned just because I got a good deal on them, and then they just sat on my shelf for years without me ever really getting around to listening to them. So, unless it’s something that I like enough to pay full price for (as long as “full price” is somewhat reasonable), then I try to hold off. 

A couple of things I’ve been excited about:

I finally picked up a copy of Cave In’s Antenna, which was their only album didn’t own. 

I got a few early Japanese pressings of some old favorites from one of 1-2-3-4 Go’s recently collection sales (Springsteen, Peter Gabriel). 

IAMX released a couple of his early albums on vinyl this year for the first time, so I was excited to finally own those. 

Seems like I've gotten fewer this year, but when I think about it I still added a ton of stuff, mostly sale stuff of "holes" in my collection.

I have a list of stuff I'd like to have at some point but isn't urgent and I just wait for decent deals on that. When new stuff comes out now I'm much less likely to immediately jump on it.

Someone send this thread to a record label lol.

Same as the majority of you all. At points in 2023 I had 30+ pre-orders open in my spreadsheet. It’s now at 5 and I haven’t purchased a record in a few months. I’m at 1,000 records, and maxing out my office.

I’m about 65% of the way through an A-Z listen of all my records. When that’s done, I’ll likely be selling a huge chunk, which will take me a longggg time. When that happens I might grab a list of neo-classical and ambient releases I’ve wanted for a while but didn’t feel had a place in my current collection.

As for where I listen to music, I buy things in bandcamp and stream from a Plex server I run. Plexamp is a legit great app that’s better than Spotify in some ways.

i've been chasing a lot of 80s/90s stuff that is easier to get on tape (and cheaper haha) but there are enough decent new releases and lots of "needed that" reissues that keep me in the vinyl game somewhat. prices and cost of living issues in general have me passing on a lot of non-essentials and i'm kind of grateful for that in a weird way? dunno. helps me to focus on what i really want to listen to.

I sold a ton of record this year on Discogs that I just prefer digital or sounded like poo.. also sold a lot of stuff that was worth a lot that I never spun.  However, all that $$$ was used to buy stuff I really wanted (mostly original 70’s/80’s punk rock LPs).  Definitely still buy new stuff, but I really gotta love the band AND the album.  I used to try and get every LP by a band, but bands don’t put out a solid album EVERY time haha.  Prices are definitely fucked though.  It’s getting nutso.  I think I bought about 10-12 new albums in 2023.