topher

Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

15 minutes ago, JFC1549 said:

Bullmoose pre order up.

7 hours ago, thebaucom said:

Maybe if you kept this thread related to what it should be about you would have seen this

38 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

JFC just PM’d me to ask where I live, if I have an Amazon wishlist, and what specific hours my parents work during the week.  Can we do anything about this cringe inducing predator, @jhulud?

I’ve been here for a year or so and I’ve never seen someone get the banhammer. Will today be the day? I sure hope so. 

Since we should bring it back around to Tool, I gotta say I’ve never really tried to get into them and I’ve been trying since Friday and I’m just sort of lost with all the material available. What’s regarded as their best work? I really dig the new song though and I PO’d that stupid ass CD

Just now, holyvacantsholyhell said:

I’ve been here for a year or so and I’ve never seen someone get the banhammer. Will today be the day? I sure hope so. 

Since we should bring it back around to Tool, I gotta say I’ve never really tried to get into them and I’ve been trying since Friday and I’m just sort of lost with all the material available. What’s regarded as their best work? I really dig the new song though and I PO’d that stupid ass CD

I second the banhammer. Feels like the wild west if dudes like that are able to just run amok in here. 

Aenima is a completely flawless album IMO but it also hits me in a nostalgic place given where I was in life/age when it was released. 

Just now, holyvacantsholyhell said:

A lot of people cite Lateralus as their crown jewel but for a first-time listener, I always thought it’d be a little dense.  For me, Ænima is where it’s at.  Timeless production, incredibly bass-drum interplay, memorable interludes, and at least one guaranteed 10/10 moment on every (actual) song.  It’s really held up for me.

7 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Agreed with Derek. Start with Ænima then Lateralus. Then you can decide where to go from there. Personally, I started with Undertow. So you could see the progression I went thru as Tool took over the Alt. Metal scene.

27 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

A lot of people cite Lateralus as their crown jewel but for a first-time listener, I always thought it’d be a little dense.  For me, Ænima is where it’s at.  Timeless production, incredibly bass-drum interplay, memorable interludes, and at least one guaranteed 10/10 moment on every (actual) song.  It’s really held up for me.

It's certainly their pinnacle of stylistic progression.  As for accessibility, Aenima wins out for sure.  

Being a long-time fan since the early 90s, Aenima was mind blowing when it came out.  But when Lateralus dropped, Tool had successfully one-upped themselves in every way. (for me).  

38 minutes ago, jhulud said:

FUCK THE MODS!!!

Sorry if thats what you got from my post, it wasn't what I intended.  Was more a statement that you guys seem pretty hands off, which is both good and bad.  I'm on boards where mods are way too hands on and that is often way worse than ones with a Laissez-faire attitude.  Just don't think anyone should expect this dumb new kid to get kicked when current members are already running with no leash.

Prove that you’re a good boy who won’t terrorize for fun or shit all over the boards, and the leash comes off.  Seems pretty simple to me.  That dude somehow retains negative rep, which suggests he’s been around for ages – back when karma was a thing – and hasn’t contributed anything helpful, humorous, entertaining, or otherwise worthwhile to read.  The leash is justified.  He should also get one of those giant neck cones while we’re at it.

4 minutes ago, museummouth said:

You know you’re a VC veteran when you remember “simple”

I found an ancient folder on an external HD, a couple of weeks ago, that holds a bunch of the really dumb Photoshop shit I whipped up for VC jokes.  Some of it goes way back; coming up on a decade now, more or less.  The Zay stuff still gets me.