Newbie question. Opening a new record.

iyiyi

OK, bear with me, I am completely new to the hobby.

When opening a new record, what is the best way to either open the record while keeping the cellphone in tact, or removing the cellophane while keeping it in tact?

In other words, how do I open an album without just ripping the cellphone off.

I have heard people use a knife on the open edge...but I would really like to avoid that.

Thanks guys!

That video is great! You don't even want to know what I was doing to get my records opened before I watched it. Let's just say it involved my mom!

I'm going to post a video that really helped me get a great understanding of how to collect records. I've only been in "the hobby" for a few months now but I already have 13 records! Lately I've been watching videos on how to select a turntable because that's what I'll be asking for Christmas this year. I can't wait to start spinning these things!

Here's the "How To Start A Vinyl Record Collection" video:

I use a razor blade. Start at the end that has the biggest gap. Press down lightly then slowly pull the blade down to the bottom. Right when you get to the end press down hard and run the blade straight down my wrist to my elbo. And that opens up the conversation to people I meet on the street when they ask me what happened. I can tell them about my collection #thehobby

Just use a thumbnail if possible. All you need to do is poke one small hole on the open end and then you can run your fingernail down the side to open it up.

Not sure why you are afraid to use a knife. You records are safe, unless you open them with a stabbing motion.

Why do you want to remove the shrink while keeping it intact?

Either slit it open and keep the shrink on (non gatefold), or just rip the shrink off and save any hype stickers.(I assume you are wanting to save the shrink for the stickers)

10 hours ago, iyiyi said:

OK, bear with me, I am completely new to the hobby.

When opening a new record, what is the best way to either open the record while keeping the cellphone in tact, or removing the cellophane while keeping it in tact?

In other words, how do I open an album without just ripping the cellphone off.

Thanks guys!

Take the record, cellphone intact, put it directly into a Michaels frame (3-pack for $19.99 that I bought with my good boy points with mommy). 

Hang the frame, then myself. 

Edited by [Banned User]

• jhulud locked this topic